California Pioneer Certificates
DID YOUR PIONEER ANCESTOR SETTLE IN CALIFORNIA BEFORE THE COMPLETION OF THE FIRST CONTINENTAL RAILROAD ON MAY 10, 1869?
ROOT CELLAR – Sacramento Genealogical Society is collecting and preserving California pioneer genealogical records and family histories. ROOT CELLAR will inscribe a certificate, suitable for framing, with the name of your pioneer ancestor, upon receipt of the appropriate materials.
To apply for your Pioneer Certificate:
- Compete the application (download form below) and send it with a four or five generation Pedigree Chart. Include complete documentation.
- Send a Family Group Sheet for each family to show your direct descent. If you have two or more pioneer families, please use separate sheets for each.
- Submit a biographical sketch and/or family stories for publishing in Root Cellar Preserves. Previously printed histories are also acceptable.
- Include any relevant photographs if available. Please label with names, dates and locations.
- Put your name and address on every page that you submit.
- Enclose a check made payable to ROOT CELLAR – SGS, in the amount of $10.00 ($5.00 for members) to cover the cost of the certificate and mailing, along with your completed application and copies of all documents showing proof of direct descent and the time of settlement, and all other requested materials and mail them to: Pioneer Certificates, ROOT CELLAR – Sacramento Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 265, Citrus Heights, CA 95611-0265.
You may submit as many applications as you wish at $10.00 per certificate or $5.00 per certificate for members.
When possible, the submitted information is published in Root Cellar Preserves. Data you furnish is placed in the ROOT CELLAR Library which is located in the California State Archives Building, 1020 O Street, Sacramento, CA. It will be a valuable addition to the history of California and will be a source of information to members of your family and other California researchers for years to come.
Download an application here.